Art in Praxis (AiP) "Lab Notes" is a round-up of creative inspiration, AiP happenings and our partner powered events & resources! Happy Earth Day! (LISTEN: 'What a Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong)
Stories are EVERYTHING | #StoriesLab Art in Praxis is a proud partner of #StoriesLab! Washington, DC 5/4, American University. Register here -> http://storieslab.eventbrite.com/
About 'StoriesLab: An Interactive Event...
Some facts about Anna Julia Cooper:
- Born in Raleigh, NC to an enslaved womannamed Hannah Stanley Haywood.
- Received PhD in History from the University of Paris – Sorbonne in 1924, the 4th black woman to earn a doctorate.
- Founded the Colored Women’s League of Washington in 1892.
- Helped open the first YWCA chapter for blackwomen.
- Published A Voice from the South (1892), which examines the way black women are affected by living at the intersection of oppressions and explains that their status and progress are definitive markers of the status and progress of the nation.
- President at Frelinghuysen University, a school founded to provide classes for DC residents lacking access to higher education.
- Vocally critical of movements that advocated for women’s rights and racial justice for ignoring black women who were victims of both oppressions.
- Anna Julia Cooper died ten years after Brown v. the Board of Education desegregated American schools, three years after the freedom rides began in Washington, and not a full year after Dr. Martin Luther King wrote his famous Letter from a Birmingham Jail.
- Every new American passport bears her most famous quote: “The cause of freedom is not the cause of a race or a sect, a party or a class-it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity.”
Sources: cooperproject.org, feministsforlife.org/taf/articles/AJCooper.pdf
Art in Praxis is headed to historic Anacostia this Spring as part of the hive dc's Creative Economy Residency Program! And we are excited that our Residency partner is Live Unchained! From May - August We'll be hosting workshops, film screenings and discussions at the hive 2.0... a really cool co-working space for social entrepreneurs, artists and small businesses. Check the calendar for updates.
Interested in learning more about the creative economy in DC, wielding art for community-wide change, capacity-building? Check out the AiP Cultural Production Fellowship. And finally, I'm over in the lab currently obsessed with + excited about the NAMAC #artsENGAGE tumblr page (The Match (beta) was featured), GALA Theatre's bi-lingual production about Roberto Clemente, upcoming 99U conference (I'll be volunteering!), the Chesapeake Bay Organization Development Network (CBODN) Conference featuring Danielle Laporte, the Unstuck App , Do Good Week in DC and The Case Foundation's #befearless principle, "Experiment Early and Often".
"Boom for real." - Basquiat
Jess Solomon (@jesssolomon) | Mad Scientist + Creative Director, Art in Praxis (@PraxisMakes__)